If you’re living in a small space and haven’t got enough space for accommodating or transporting traditional Kayak. Then a folding Kayak would be an ideal solution for all your troubles, that simply packs in fun and comfort in a compact and handy package.
Most Foldable Kayaks are made of polypropylene, which is a durable plastic type and can simply retain a better shape after getting folded and bent. The material is sturdy and packs the strength for bearing huge weight capacities with resistance to impacts as well.
- Compared to conventional Kayaks these can easily be stored and transported while fitting well into small spaces.
- You can get easily on water compared to your friends who would need to unload their conventional yaks.
- You can easily travel around different paddling destinations with your own paddle and vessel.
- Too much exposure to sun can reduce the quality of plastic material. However, some foldable Kayaks are available with UV protectant.
- These are a little bit expensive than traditional kayaks
- Their lifespan isn’t as long as conventional Kayaks and it might depend on how many times you fold or unfold the materials.
- Due to portable parts and sections these require higher maintenance compared to hard shell kayaks.
Before moving on to the best foldable Kayak in 2019, a few points need to be considered. All such points are weight capacity, ease of assembly, durability and storage options. Further, we’ve listed down best folding Kayak available on Amazon with their reviews. With the info you can easily select the best foldable Kayak according to your requirements.
Comparison: 5 Best Foldable Kayak
Detailed Review: Best Foldable Kayak
The Taymen-3, Folding Kayak is conventional Russian Kayak meant for lakes, rivers and open salt waters. This is quite popular among whitewater rafters and tourists. This was introduced in USSR defense enterprise in 1974. The Kayak is ideal for family, groups or weekend trips as well as for long haul trips on rivers and lakes available with flat water. The canoe is also ideal for Category IV or white water trips. The Kayak can simply accommodate more than 3 adults with room which is enough for carrying cargo for several week trips. This can easily get transported in backpack or car trunk.
- 3 different color skin sets for your boat.
- Complies well with the standards of Russian State Standard (GOST) and is totally patented.
- The 3 seater boat also has 3 oars
- The boat is available with a bag and frame
- Suitable for camping and day trips and can be carried easily by transportation.
- Solid and sturdy built.
- Simple manual for assembly and disassembly.
- Too much heavy
- A little bit expensive
- Length – 5.7m
- Height – 0.4m
- Width – 0.88m
- Carrying capacity – upto 370 kg
- Weight – below 30 kg
- Despite bearing a little weight my canoe easily gets packed in my 2×2 vehicle
- The kayak makes a fine choice for being able to equip my family and friends. I love this foldable Kayak
2. MyCanoe 2.5 Origami Folding Canoe
The assembly time for this foldable kayak is 10 minutes. With a little folding space this has to be one of the best best-quality Canadian canoes worldwide. The two seats can fit two people comfortably with stunning maneuverability and great speed. Also this canoe is an eye-candy with its striking design.
- The award winning canoe is patented, and TUV certified. My Canoe is tested as well as approved by many institutions and professionals and notably exceeds their standards.
- The canoe is 14.5 ft long with comfortable two seating space.
- The Kayak design stands out from the rest with its origami fold design
The canoe is made from durable polypropylene and lasts more than 20,000 folds
- carrying case for folding: 52 lbs weight and 37 x 8 x 25 in measurements
- After assembling: 35 in width and 14.5 ft length
- Ideal loading capacity: 400 lb with maximum recommended loading capacity of 440 lb
- Ease of assembly and disassembly
- Better durability with polypropylene
- Lightweight and simple to store
- Good looks
- Doesn’t last as long as traditional Kayaks
- Doesn’t add any additional motor
- The canoe has a beautiful appearance and it moves smoothly with a sturdy and durable feel. The U.S. made canoe consists of high quality materials and holds well over time.
- Its pads quite well and being a 190 lb person it comfortably fits me. I’m enjoying paddling my new canoe.
Learn more about the MyCanoe 2.5 here!
3. Folbot Full Expedition Package
The Folbot Kayak comes with additional accessories for a seamless kayaking experience, but this kit works well with other brands as well. The Kayak’s foot rudder attaches easily at stern and retracts in shallow water conditions for prevention of any damage.
- The Kayak has a wilderness repairing kit with essentials available for patching and repairing the Kayak.
- The extra padding for keel frame assists in protection of hull.
- Dimensions – 22 x 6 x22 inches
- Shipping Weight – 7 pounds
- Lightweight and fits easily in any small space such as car deck or cupboard
- Quite easy to assemble and disassemble with only 20 minutes time
- The kit works well with most other Kayaks
- Kit isn’t suitable for all models
- With Pontoon it becomes a little difficult to surf heavy on beach
- The Kayak comes with sturdy gear and essentials. My Kayak fits well in all my three sturdy bags
- The Edisto model has continued to impress me with its longevity and sturdiness. I can easily carry the boat in my 2+2 coupe or SUV.
- In addition to awesome product with plenty of supplies they also have an awesome customer service to help you on any canoe related issue.
The Kayak manufacturer Oru is renowned for its ergonomic and sturdy foldable kayaks and their Bay ST Canoe is among the most popular and recommended models you can choose. These are perfect additions for camping excursions and on day off on lakeside. The measurements of the Kayak are kept to handle forceful currents. The canoe is recommended for use in Class II Rapids.
- The polypropylene body works well with UV treatment for 10 years.
- Although being a plastic foldable kayak it can easily withstand for a long time period.
- On purchase customers get a 1 year warranty.
- The kayak supports three hundred pounds weight capacity.
- Folds more than 20,000 times
- 10 year UV protection
- Setup time of 20-45 mins
- Two bulkheads
- Max load capacity – 300 lb
- Body Weight – 28 lb
- Dimensions – 33 x 12 x 29 in (when assembled)
- Lightweight and quick assembly
- Designed for resisting strong current conditions
- Sturdiness with Polypropylene built
- With large folding, storing can be an issue for some.
- Less life expectancy compared to traditional Kayaks
- On water the paddling is great and the kayak performs well with its sleek design.
- The kayak is simple to assemble and use and has all the features of a sturdy and solid boat.
- Ideally fits in a cupboard and can be assembled and dissembled quickly.
5. Elevens Cruise Plus Foldable Kayak
The sporty kayak is ideal for speed and adventure enthusiasts. It lets you execute those sharp turns on high speed. Elevens Cruise can turn out to be the best folding canoe that you can get on a budget. Being small, the assembly time is only 10 minutes so you won’t have to rush.
- Lightweight at just 30 lbs
- Lasts for more than 10,000 folds
- Built with double-ply FRPP for additional durability and is UV resistant.
- The Kayak doesn’t require any assembly tools
- The Kayak is weather resistant
- Length: 12.8 ft
- Depth – 14.2 in
- Total weight – 30 lbs
- Width: 23.6 in
- Cockpit: 32 x 20 in
- Backpack: 34 x 30 x 14 in
- Loading capacity: 200 lbs
- Lifespan: 3 -4 years
- Unmatched durability with doubly-ply FRPP and is rated 10,000 folds
- Portable and simple to transport
- Available with life vest for safety
- Lesser lifespan compared to other foldable boats
- Less size and seating capacity
- Easily rowing past high currents in weekends, love the size, makes it simple to store
- Packing is quite simple. Being quite sturdy I don’t need to worry about storing it in small spaces.
Wrapping it up
Traveling long distances through Kayaking is a fun experience. There are a lot of benefits of foldable Kayaks compared to conventional Kayaks. These are small, lightweight and can be transported without any hassle. Also their performance is unmatched and can be compared with your regular kayaks.
Having the best quality foldable Kayak lets you explore outdoors with comfort and ease. With the information and reviews you can select the best foldable Kayak in 2019 according to your requirements and have fun while rowing outdoors.